Promoting the importance of health eating
The Healthy Cooking Company was established in 2013 with a mission to develop healthy eating habits of children attending Queensland childcare centres.
We strongly believe that introducing nutritious meals at an early age will pave the road to a lifetime of healthy food choices. It is in their early years that children develop their tastes and attitudes about food and nutrition; hence, it is an essential time to educate and promote the importance of healthy eating.
- To ensure educators have a better understanding of healthy eating and help educate children in their care.
- To provide children attending Queensland childcare centres and their families with wholesome food – naturally!
- To encourage family-style dining to develop a healthy food culture within the family setting.
For many reasons, your child may need a special diet. We acknowledge this and try our best to accommodate for these requirements by supplying vegetarian, gluten-free, lactose-free and dairy-free alternatives. To ensure the safety of children who experience severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), all our childcare meals are made without the use of nuts.
Recent statistics show:
- Australia has doubled it's percentage of children with obesity over the last 20 years.
- A third of Australian children are not eating the recommended daily serves of four to five vegetables and one or two pieces of fruit each day.
- Children are eating too much saturated fat and sugar and not enough calcium.
- Just one additional serve of fruit or vegies per day could save the direct health care system over $513 million a year.
- 30% of all Australian children now obese or overweight.
- On the basis of present trends we can predict that by the time our kids reach the age of 20 they will have a shorter life expectancy than earlier generations.
Our nutrient-dense meals not only nourish and fuel growing bodies, but establish healthy eating habits and build a wholesome food culture.